I am interested in the ecology and ecological physiology of parasite-host interactions. My research examines how differences in host physiology, in particular metabolic rate, affect infection outcomes/intensities. On an ecological scale, I am interested in the effects parasites have on host populations, particularly outside of infection.
- Horn, C.J., Visscher, D.R., and Luong, L.T. 2022. Relative contributions of parasite consumptive and non-consumptive effects to host population suppression in simulated fly-mite populations. Oecologia 200: 339-347. doi: 10.1007/s00442-022-05268-8
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01972-21 Endosymbiotic male-killing Spiroplasma affects the physiological and behavioural ecology of Macrocheles-Drosophila interactions. Applied and Environmental Microbiology.
- Horn, C.J. and Luong, L.T. 2021. Trade-offs between reproduction and behavioural resistance against ectoparasite infection. 2021. Physiology and Behavior 239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2021.113524
- Horn, C.J., Mierzejewski, M.K., Elahi, M.E., and Luong, L.T. 2020. Extending the ecology of fear: Parasite-mediated sexual selection drives host response to parasites. Physiology & Behavior 224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2020.113041.
- Mierzejewski, M.K.*, Horn, C.J.* and Luong, L.T. 2019. Ecology of fear: environment-dependent parasite avoidance among ovipositing Drosophila. Parasitology. doi: 10.1017/S0031182019000854 *Equal contributing authors.
- Horn, C.J. and Luong, L.T. 2019. Current parasite resistance trades off with future defences and flight performance. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 73: 77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00265-019-2697-5.
- Stuparyk, B., Horn, C.J., Karabatsos, S., and Torres, J.A. (equal contributing authors). 2018. A Meta-analysis of Animal Survival Following Translocation: Comparisons Between Conflict and Conservation Efforts. Canadian Wildlife Biology and Management 7: 3-17.
- Horn, C.J. and Luong, L.T. 2018. Proximity to parasites reduces host fitness independent of infection in a Drosophila-Macrocheles system. Parasitology 13: 1-6. doi: 10.1017/S0031182018000379
- Horn, C.J , Mierzejewski, M.K., and Luong, L.T. 2018. Host respiration rate and injury-derived cues drive host preference by an ectoparasite of fruit flies. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 91: 896-903. doi: 10.1086/697466.
- Luong, L.T., Horn, C.J., Brophy, T. 2017. Mitey costly: Energetic costs of parasite avoidance and infection. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 90: 471-477.
- Luong, L.T., Penoni, L.R., Horn C.J., and Polak, M. 2015. Physical and physiological costs of ectoparasitic mites on host flight endurance. Ecological Entomology 40: 518-524.