- Teacher of the Year Award (2016-2017) – Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences.
- Inspirational Instructor Award – Interdepartmental Science Students’ Society (2012).
- University of Alberta Provost Award for Early Achievement of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2011). This represents the most prestigious award in undergraduate teaching at the Assistant Professor level in the University of Alberta.
- Teaching Award of Merit (2011). North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) .
- Teacher of the Year Award (2008-2009) – Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science (AFNS).
- Teacher of the Year Award (2007-2008) – Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science (AFNS). Also nominated for:
- Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences Faculty Teaching Award (2010 and 2011).
- Research and Innovation Award (2011) Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences (ALES), University of Alberta. Recognizes the outstanding individual contributions of staff members (<10 years from Ph.D.) and the impact of their research and innovation to the advancement of the field, both nationally and internationally.
- University of Ricardo Palma, Peru (2012) – Awarded honorary membership to the Research Institute for Biomedical Sciences (INICIB) for professional contributions to this field and efforts to develop functional links between Canada and Peru.
- Banff Inflammation Workshop Young Investigator Prize (2003).
- Alan Birdsall Memorial Scholarship: Research in Applied Fisheries Ecology & Management (2002).
- Andrew Stewart Memorial Graduate Prize for Research Excellence (2000). Also nominated for:
- Canadian Society of Zoology (CSZ) Bob Boutilier New Investigator Award for Excellence in Research (2012). This award honors researchers within five years of receiving their first academic or professional appointment. The individual must have made significant contributions to zoology and to be considered a “rising star” in their field.
- NSERC Doctoral Prize for Research Excellence in Natural Sciences and Engineering (2004) – Awarded to Top four natural sciences and engineering students completing Ph.D. degrees in Canada.
- Governor General’s Gold Medal – Most Outstanding Doctoral Student at the University of Alberta (2003).