Thank you for your interest in being graduate student in the Lewis Lab. I am particularly interested in recruiting quantitatively skilled students who are highly motivated to solve new problems in ecology and environmental management. The interdisciplinary nature of the research means communicating with many different groups and so strong communication skills are crucial.
Essential qualities for successful applicants are:
• high level of motivation to make a difference in a problem in ecology or environmental management
• strong mathematical background equivalent to or stronger than a minor specialization in mathematics at the undergrad level
• strong programming skills (eg., Python, R, or related languages)
• excellent communication skills (both speaking and writing)
If you are interested in being graduate student in the Lewis Lab please contact me directly at email@example.com, with a cc to Kim Budinski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following:
• Write: “Lewis Lab Graduate Supervision Application” in the email subject.
• Attach a cover letter addressing reasons and motivation for graduate work. In the letter, indicate which existing Lewis Lab research projects you feel like you would fit with best. Also, if you have a related project that you are particularly interested in pursuing, please outline it.
• Attach your CV and transcript.
• Attach up to 3 samples of your writing (eg, reports, theses, papers etc.).
As of July 1, 2022 I have moved institutions and will have a new position as Kennedy Research Chair in Mathematical Biology at the University of Victoria. Therefore, students in the Lewis Lab have a home either in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics or the Department of Biology at the University of Victoria. Graduate student support is either by scholarships or a mixture of teaching and research assistantships. Both departments accept direct applications for graduate work. However, it is important to write directly to me by email, with a cc to Kim Budinski, as described above.